Thursday, March 31, 2016

Location, Location, Location



For those of you that have been following my trail camera saga over the past year, you'll have noticed that I haven't provided an update in quite some time.  You'll also remember that I had to send my camera back to Moultrie for testing due to underexposed photos.  I received my camera back from Moultrie and have since changed locations.  I moved it from the Bow Valley to the Spray Valley with the hope of attracting more wildlife and less people, but that didn't happen.  I have since relocated it again, but have kept it in the Spray Valley.  My fingers are crossed that this new spot, which appears to have lots of potential, allows for some awesome wildlife sightings.

This was my original location in Spray Valley. There were tracks and scat nearby, but I only ended up with photos of humans strolling past the camera.
While scouting for the camera's current location Christine discovered a couple of aged bones.  With a little more exploring we uncovered several pieces of a deer skeleton including skull, jawbones, spinal column, vertebrae, and limb bones.  Needless to say Rome was through the roof with this discovery, but I was pretty happy as well because it indicated that there was both predator and prey in the area.  The bones were in the woods directly behind my camera, which is located at the junction of two major thoroughfares.  In addition to the kill-site we also found numerous piles of scat from a variety of species including deer, moose, bear, and canine.  With all of the evidence I am really hoping this placement is as successful as my spot in the Ghost Valley.  Only time will tell!  Stay tuned...

The camera in its new location at the junction of two major trails.
Piece of a deer skull
Leg bone with hoof still attached
Jaw bone with teeth
Here's the collection we found scattered throughout the forest...minus the ones Rome had already claimed!!
Hiking along the Kananaskis River
Beautiful mountain scenery
Update: I've been out to check this camera once and I only had a few photos of wildlife, the rest unfortunately were of humans again.  I still like the potential of this spot, so I'm going to leave it for the time being, but I may need to relocate it again.

Coyote
Coyote...again!
Black Bear in the middle of the night
Stay tuned for the latest updates of my ongoing trail camera saga...

No comments:

Post a Comment