Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pocaterra

Trip Dates: January 2007 & December 2007



Pocaterra is a great place for cross country skiers of all levels.  Both times I have skied there have been with the students I work with.  Pocaterra is located in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, which is part of the Kananaskis Country park system and is about 140km southwest of Calgary along the Kananaskis Lakes Trail.  There is an extensive network of trails ranging from easy (green) to difficult (black diamond), so you're bound to find something that will satisfy your skill level.  Many of the trails are even groomed, so you won't be breaking trail while you're out there either.  Our first trip out there in early 2007 marked the first time I'd been on cross country skis in a long time.  As you'll see in a few of the pictures, it wasn't a pretty sight!   

Cross country ski trail map for Kananaskis Lakes area
One of many groomed trails
I'm struggling with the hill
It would appear that I adopted a new technique
Who needs to stand when you can just sit on the backs of your skis and slide down the hill?
Frosty mountain scenery
This is during our second trip to Pocaterra
At least I'm on my feet in this picture!
Notice how I'm covered in snow?  I must have ate it just before the picture was snapped!
To learn more about cross-country skiing in Pocaterra please visit my post titled Kananaskis Lakes Trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment