Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sunshine Mountain Village Resort

Trip Dates: January 2007 to Present



Sunshine Mountain Village Resort was the second mountain that I snowboarded on.  It is located in Banff National Park approximately 150km west of Calgary.  It is quite easy to become overwhelmed once you see just how massive this resort is!  With 3,358 skiable acres spread out over 3 mountain faces it's easy to get lost.  I've spent numerous days at this resort and I am still discovering new terrain that I didn't know existed.  Although I prefer Lake Louise over Sunshine, I think I have spent more days riding Sunshine's slopes for a couple of reasons; it is a shorter drive from Calgary and my workplace has free passes that can be booked in advance.  Nothing better than a free day out in the mountains!  Sticking with the same theme, the following pictures have come from a variety of different days at this resort.  

Sunshine Mountain Village Resort Trail Map
Dan enjoying some powder, but not much sunshine!
My turn
My old Explorer after a day of snowboarding
The Sunshine gondola
Me, Mike, Rob, and Dylan on the top of Goat's Eye
The marker between the Alberta and British Columbia border.  The resort crosses the border of the two provinces.
Gilby Clarke, former guitarist of Guns N' Roses, rocking Sunshine Village in 2011
View from Mt. Standish
Sunshine Village during spring skiing in 2012
Enjoying a beer in the sunshine on Trapper's deck listening to George Canyon
Jeff's version of aprรจs-ski
George Canyon performing "Good Day To Ride"

This must be how Sunshine got its name
Jeff heading down to the Continental Divide chair
Standing on top of Mt. Standish
Mt. Assiniboine
My goggle reflection
Recently I did a story for Calgary Is Awesome about Alberta's epic skiing and snowboarding titled: Skiing & Riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment