Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Marmot Basin

Trip Dates: December 2005 & December 2009




This is the mountain where I first learned how to snowboard over Christmas in 2005. It my first Christmas spent with Christine and her family and I decided I better learn how to snowboard if I'm going to be spending more time with them!  Marmot Basin is located just outside of Jasper, Alberta in Jasper National Park.  It is approximately 400km northwest of Calgary and has 1,675 acres of skiable terrain.  After a day spent on the bunny hill, I figured I was ready to tag along with Christine and Sarah and go straight for the top. Boy was I wrong! Luckily I didn't hurt myself. I think the old saying goes something like, "God protects the innocent and the fool." I'm not sure which category I actually belong in, but something took care of me on that first trip and it wasn't my skill level!  Like you'll notice with some of my other posts, the following pictures are a sampling of both times I have been there. Both trips to Jasper were over the Christmas holidays with Christine's family.

Marmot Basin Trail Map
Marmot Basin Resort
Mountain views
Sarah, Christine, and I riding the chair lift
Pretty socked in
Young and dumb!  Notice the lack of helmets!!
Great scenery
One of the bowls
Christine
Me enjoying the view
Jerry
This was Jeff's first time on a snowboard
What a difference a few years can make.  Notice the head gear!
Christine and I in front of our hotel
The Lobstick Lodge in 2005
A couple of new additions by 2009!


Recently I did a story for Calgary Is Awesome about Alberta's epic skiing and snowboarding titled: Skiing & Riding.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete